Healthy Eggplant Parmigiana
Eggplant Parmigiana is one of the most famous italian dishes, but the classic recipe is usually quite rich and oily. Here's my healthier version that I cook for my family and guests:
- 1 large eggplant and sliced
- 4 large plum tomatoes, sliced
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- green olives
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped chili
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded basil, plus whole leaves for garnish
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- toasted ciabatta bread for serving
Preheat the oven to 200°C and heat a grill pan. Brush the eggplant and tomato slices with olive oil and season lightly with salt. Grill the eggplant in batches, turning once, until softened and lightly charred, about 4 minutes. Grill the tomatoes, turning once, until lightly charred but still intact, about 2 minutes.
Mix olives, chili and shredded basil in a bowl. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Layer eggplant, grilled tomatoes, olive mixture and Mozzarella. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with the cheese.
Bake for aprox. 15 minutes, until the cheese has a golden crust. Garnish with basil leaves and serve with crusty bread.